"Attaching" is a quality held by items. This gives them the near-sentient ability to know their owner. This attachment is usually recognized by a certain behavior that is either activated or dormant when in possession of this owner.
Unless otherwise specified, attachment can change hands for the following reasons:
- The item is willingly given to another (through exchange, coercion, as a gift, etc.)
- The item is fairly purchased (if the agreed payment is not exchanged, then the attachment does not take place)
Unless otherwise specified, attachment does NOT change hands when:
- Fake coins or false currency is used to "purchase" the attached item
- The attached item is stolen
- The item is handed over to another so that they may use it temporarily or on a short-term basis